PSX Doom Music addon:

edited 2009 Oct 7 in Addons for DOOM
I've finished creating my Playstation Doom music addon pack. This pack works for both Ultimate Doom and Doom II. Just download and place the package in the Snowberry addons folder.

{link removed}

This package contains digital transfers of all the music from the playstation version of Doom. You won't find a better quality or more "correct" transfer of these tracks anywhere else on the internet. This is mainly due to others people's confusion on when each track actually ends and loops back (i.e. both Doom Depot and the PSX Doom TC for GZDoom have incorrectly edited tracks). I used a sound wave visualizer to pinpoint each loop-back on each track to ensure the entire music selection is preserved as originally intended. On the shortest tracks, I allowed for a two-loop playback before fading.

Hardware used: PS2 with fiber-optic digital output.

FYI I'm nearly finished with a PSX Doom Sound Effects package as well. Thankfully the PSX Doom sounds can be pulled directly from the disc using a program called Psound, and I've already finished assigning them into jdoom. I'm just bug-testing now to ensure everything is assigned properly, and then I'll upload the addon package to my web site.

EDIT DaniJ: Removed link to copyrighted material.

Comments

• This forum is not the place to be re-distributing copyrighted material which you have no rights to. The PSX music and sfx resources are owned by Midway and we do not tolerate rips or warez of any form here.
  • Ah I see. I don't consider it a "warez" type thing as you call it, but merely a fan project. I'm sure you've seen other TC's like the Doom 64 one, which had full support of the original artists (whom I personally interviewed for Doom Depot).

It's your forum, but I think you're WAY overreacting on this one. Do you have rights to use the term "Doom" or any such related material for the Doomsday Engine? Didn't think so. It doesn't matter that you don't actually have the wads embedded in your code, you're still using copyrighted material for your fan project.
  • There is a big difference between the organisation of the Doomsday project and a package of ripped resources. Doomsday is founded on source code that was released by the original authors so that people could update and improve it. AFAIK no such agreement has been published for these Midway resources because if there had, you surely wouldn't have had to resort to ripping them in the first place. Though do feel free to offer up evidence if you are in fact allowed to distribute them.

This is our forum, for our project, running on our server. It is my belief that warez and the ripping of resources is a serious problem which has mostly negative impact on the community and the industry at large.

I do not consider I have overreacted at all. All I have done is to censor the link in the above post. There are many forums where you may have received a ban for such a thing.

BTW, you cannot copyright the use of a word, thankfully.
  • Well I just find it ironic that Doom Depot has for years hosted downloads of virtually EVERY commercial Doom Music track released , yet it's never been shut down for "warez". Neither has TC projects like Doom 64 EX or PSX Doom TC. This is where you're flipping out way too much.

Simply put, the original owners of the material support our continued enthusiasm and interest in preserving/updating such a classic game. If they didn't, even this site would have been shut down by now. It's something you should consider before trashing others hard work in preserving the classics. Hell by your definition, Kaiser is a "warez pirate". That's downright insulting.
  • Why would this site have been shut down exactly? The only reason I can think of would be if we were harboring/promoting warez, oh wait, thats why I removed the link in your post :-/

How does the practice of other sites such as Doom Depot influence the way we run this site?

Even if the original artists "agree" to your preservation efforts, it makes no difference unless the owners of the resources i.e., Midway, are also in agreement.