It's bizarre that no complete "HD Sprite" pack exists yet.

edited 2015 Aug 21 in Addons for DOOM
I mean, Doom has been out for 22 years. I'm fully aware of the insane amount of work required to redraw EVERY frame of every monster and weapon animation by hand, but still.... there are countless games out there that were released MUCH later than Doom and still have complete, extensive graphics modification packs available.

Comments

• I think that is exactly why, because other games were released MUCH later. They had to write the engine to support HD sprites or even models. Then again it's also redundant to make HD sprites, when you can have 3D Models, and 3D Models exist, admittedly not the newest one, but nonetheless good ones.
    I know that Duke Nukem 3D was released only a few years later than Doom and that it even has MD3 models, but even there I don't like the engine much, while here you have (IMO) far better engine support which adds a lot of features. Doomsday focussed solely on Vanilla with new Graphics, while other source ports focus more on additional gameplay features ([G]ZDoom, Vavoom, Eternity etc.) and it has a much bigger (as far as I know) online multiplayer community than any of the other older games.
  • I would gladly use 3D models when I'm playing Doom, if there were ANY out there that even remotely maintained the original art-style, and didn't just look generally ridiculous. There aren't, though.
  • Then get drawing! :))
  • Milten wrote:
    I think that is exactly why, because other games were released MUCH later. They had to write the engine to support HD sprites or even models. Then again it's also redundant to make HD sprites, when you can have 3D Models, and 3D Models exist, admittedly not the newest one, but nonetheless good ones.
    I know that Duke Nukem 3D was released only a few years later than Doom and that it even has MD3 models, but even there I don't like the engine much, while here you have (IMO) far better engine support which adds a lot of features. Doomsday focussed solely on Vanilla with new Graphics, while other source ports focus more on additional gameplay features ([G]ZDoom, Vavoom, Eternity etc.) and it has a much bigger (as far as I know) online multiplayer community than any of the other older games.
    What are you on about; games newer than Doom may well have come with higher resolution artwork than Doom simply due to the march of time. Doomsday also supports higher resolution sprites just like it does textures and other patches.

Most of the Duke3D source ports have come out since Doomsday has been in its major and long 'rewrite'. During the 'rewrite' Doomsday has been unable to advance much visually and no other Doom port, most of which also predate the Duke3D source ports, has stepped in it's place; Doomsday despite it's long time lack of focus on it's visuals, is arguably still the most visually advanced Doom port.

Indeed, it's perhaps quite embarrassing for other Doom ports and also Duke3D ports to a lesser degree, that they haven't utterly surpassed the visual standard set by pre 'rewrite' Doomsday.

To make clear though, I believe Doomsday both has and will have a lot more to offer than visuals.
  • Vermil wrote:
    What are you on about; games newer than Doom may well have come with higher resolution artwork than Doom simply due to the march of time. Doomsday also supports higher resolution sprites just like it does textures and other patches.

Most of the Duke3D source ports have come out since Doomsday has been in its major and long 'rewrite'. During the 'rewrite' Doomsday has been unable to advance much visually and no other Doom port, most of which also predate the Duke3D source ports, has stepped in it's place; Doomsday despite it's long time lack of focus on it's visuals, is arguably still the most visually advanced Doom port.

Indeed, it's perhaps quite embarrassing for other Doom ports and also Duke3D ports to a lesser degree, that they haven't utterly surpassed the visual standard set by pre 'rewrite' Doomsday.

To make clear though, I believe Doomsday both has and will have a lot more to offer than visuals.
    I think you misunderstood me there Vermil.
    I didn't mean that Doomsday doesn't have anything to offer or that it is slow in development, I meant to point out that Doomsday is more focussed on graphics while it didn't implement as many new features as other source ports, while other source ports rather built in more features, but are therefor lacking the graphical aspect.

Nor did I mean to say that Doomsday doesn't have anything to offer than just visuals. I simply meant it positive towards DDay, cause I also think it is the best graphical port of them all.