A few brief observations on 1.15

edited 2015 Jun 8 in General
Had a quick play through.

The pixel density is very nice, though the sprites can end up a little blurred beyond a certain distance. I imagine in filtered modes it's not noticable, but in unfiltered it can look a little odd.

The new BSP complies much faster, but there seems to be a trade off with in game performance. Perhaps in the long run that's a trade off worth making, but I noticed BTSX E1 MAP01 dropped below 60fps which seems a little concerning considering it's within vanilla limits.

Additionally, I tested Hell Revealed MAP07, and the sector that Doomsday seems to have problems with remains broken:
XcQVYoQ.jpg

Comments

• Pixelator wrote:
    The new BSP complies much faster, but there seems to be a trade off with in game performance. Perhaps in the long run that's a trade off worth making, but I noticed BTSX E1 MAP01 dropped below 60fps which seems a little concerning considering it's within vanilla limits.
    No such trade off was necessary as this optimization affects build time only. The generated BSP data is the same.
    Additionally, I tested Hell Revealed MAP07, and the sector that Doomsday seems to have problems with remains broken.
    I seem to recall this map has some overlapped sectors whose lines and vertices lay directly on top of one another. As yet there is no mechanism in place to deal with this kind of setup.
  • Hmm, I wonder what it is. I'm definitely getting a performance hit of around 5 to 10fps compared to 1.14 in my custom maps.
  • There could be many reasons as a lot of stuff is going through some very significant changes under the hood. Presently we are still generating map geometry every frame and this is something we need to solve in order to both maximize in-game performance and support our future plans for the map renderer. In practice you will definitely see absolute performance fluctuate as we build up the kind of architecture we will need in the future. Currently absolute performance is less of a focus as we intend to replace much of the existing map renderer in the not too distant future.