Quake

edited 2010 May 31 in Off-Topic
i just saw someone disrespect the undisputed most revolutionary fps ever created *gasp*

Fair enough you dont like the game, i hate doom 3 - each to their own. But technically speaking, quake pioneered internet gaming; was the first true 3D engine if its kind, and was the first of the server-client gaming model still in use today.

But yeah, i actually did enjoy Q2 more. But from a technical / milestone viewpoint, quake was pants-creaming in the wow factor. The entire engine was first written in pure assembly, its just amazing geek factor behind the history. Hel, Carmack started working on it after Commander Keen!

You gotta have respect for the game that practically paved the way single-handedly for online gaming as we know it today.

But yeah quake 2 was still a better game IMO.

Comments

• Lol, yeah many technical breakthrough brought by Quake 1, but technical doesn't make a good game and quake is a perfect example of this. :)

For online games for me the revolution was already done with multiplayer modem/lan games even if using Internet brought a new step. It had to be made sooner or later and Quake just anticipate it a bit. For 3D it push forward 3D cards. For game servers, this exist since a long time through some unix games, Quake 1 only brought it for real time shooter.
  • JonusC wrote:
    A quake 3 style bobbing would be cool. You know, where the weapon seems to move backwards/forwards (or in/out if you prefer, or even far/close) as opposed to the "U" movement of the gun sway in classic Doom.
    How would that work with sprites? The only way I can think of would be to scale them and that would just look silly.
    Quake:
    ...was the first true 3D engine if its kind
    ...was the first of the server-client gaming model still in use today.
    ...The entire engine was first written in pure assembly
    ...Carmack started working on it after Commander Keen!
    To my knowledge none of the above statements are true.
  • I don't know for the assembler thing and I don't see how Carmack could really work on Quake when he had to work on Doom. But I won't argue this totally wrong until I find back the book of id from the id anthology as this assembler thing remind me something or a very soon experimental project made in parallel by Carmack.

But if there was crappy 3D games released a long time before Quake, all was quite ridiculous to compare to Quake. The only game not so ridiculous was Ultima Underworld 2, still rather far from what Quake achieved. But as I already quote Quake has been the game that significantly push forward the 3D cards. And 3D cards have been a revolution in gaming and Quake took a significant part in it.

For the client/server model for games that's also been done a long time before Quake. But as far I know over Internet, Quake is the first and it's impossible to deny that Quake is the first game to have make popular this design over Internet. And multiplay over Internet has also been a revolution in gaming and Quake took a significant part in it.

For it's gameplay design it's been totally changed during the project so it's not a surprise that the final result isn't that great. And more importantly it's how despite it turned to be a Doom clone in full 3D, it totally failed to capture the essence of the Doom series and that make it a major disappointment. In fact at this date no full 3D shooter succeed that. What saved Quake 1 was the multiplay over Internet.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    JonusC wrote:
    A quake 3 style bobbing would be cool. You know, where the weapon seems to move backwards/forwards (or in/out if you prefer, or even far/close) as opposed to the "U" movement of the gun sway in classic Doom.
    How would that work with sprites? The only way I can think of would be to scale them and that would just look silly.
    Definately haha. But it was just a random thought of hud-weapon models.
    DaniJ wrote:
    Quake:
    ...was the first true 3D engine if its kind
    ...was the first of the server-client gaming model still in use today.
    ...The entire engine was first written in pure assembly
    ...Carmack started working on it after Commander Keen!
    To my knowledge none of the above statements are true.
    - In regards to point 1, I suppose it is subjective - what exactly was "it's kind" anyway? In particular I was thinking of, for example, how "Quake was the first true-3D game to use a special map design system that preprocessed and pre-rendered the 3D environment, so as to reduce the processing required when playing the game on the 50-75 MHz CPUs of the time."
    - In regards to point two, I don't claim to know everything about every videogame in existence, but over the years I've tried to find an FPS that used the server-client client that predates Quake. There probably is, just like there were FPS games before Kens' Labrynth.
    - OK, assembly it was not and I just made that up - only the pixel rendering loop was written in assembly. I was getting mixed up, I remember there was some big classic game where it's entire engine was written in assembly.
    - That was a non-technical statement. Carmack envisioned a Thor-like character named 'Quake' and wanted to make a Side Scrolling RPG game after finishing the Keen series. It never happened and they didn't formally start the Quake project until after Doom 2, alas while his original idea was somewhat different than what Quake ended up being it's history started there.
    Harag wrote:
    I don't see how Carmack could really work on Quake when he had to work on Doom.
    'Work' on a game involves more than just writing raw code though. In light of what I said above though, yeah I was wrong sorry. That's what happens when you type from your phone late at night... my mistake *shuts up*
    Harag wrote:
    For it's gameplay design it's been totally changed during the project so it's not a surprise that the final result isn't that great. And more importantly it's how despite it turned to be a Doom clone in full 3D, it totally failed to capture the essence of the Doom series and that make it a major disappointment. In fact at this date no full 3D shooter succeed that. What saved Quake 1 was the multiplay over Internet.
    Everything you said there is just your opinion. It's OK for you to not like it, but you can't talk like the game was definately poor as if it's a fact. Doom clone? Bah - I never said Quake was better than Doom, I may aswell say Quake 4 is a clone of Wolf3D. Yes of course Quake its not as good as Doom, as you said there - nothing 'captures the essence of Doom' but that's like saying "Command and Conquer is nowhere near as good as Warcraft".

What 'saved' Quake 1 was multiplayer over internet? Do you have anything to back that up? Quake was a massive hit and praised by gamers all over the world. But we've gone way off topic, so yeah i'll just agree and say Quake sucks and is a terrible FPS so we can stop spamming :P
  • I liked Command and Conquer: Generals, kind of like I liked Total Annihilation! :) I liked the Warcraft games, but I hated World of Warcraft when I tried to play it... I had played too many MMORPGs by that point to be even somewhat interested, and I only played it because one of my best buddies was beckoning me.
    Quake was confusing to me, because around when it first came out, I was mister keyboard, know'msayin'? Towards the beginning there was a part where you go out and some snake things shoot at you from a higher level up, and I'm like "TOO 3D FOR ME!" 'cause I didn't have a method quite like the old mouse n' keyboard to fall back on. :( Another series that has kind of tied it with me and Doom, though, has got to be Serious Sam. It's completely action-packed, the aspect that was the better part of the gameplay in Doom that was not enhanced, but lost, in some of the newer games. For me, it's speed and quantity with that kind of a game, rather than "quality". Who cares if such monster comes into your view a different way every level, when there's only one or so on each level? A game full of bosses or mini-bosses is all right, but let's reserve that for games like Shadow of the Colossus! :D Don't get me wrong, I like teh leet gphx, but why the sacrifices? :(

As far as the bobbing style, perhaps a good bobbing style would be a less-smooth, reverse U shape, kind of like in one of the Doom alphas. You know, kind of like how someone would actually be moving their arms as they walked... I don't know where they got off making it to where every time you take fifty steps, the hand has made only a single 'U' pattern on the screen. I remember that pissing me off when I took time to think about it.
  • @JonusC:
    Quake 4 is far to be my cup of tea and in fact I found its action less good than Doom series, Quake 2, Doom 3, and even Quake 3 Arena even if that's a very different gameplay. But even if it's very average SF I get caught, somehow, by its story and the environment. Well I played only a part of it at this time.

Quake 1 get its fame only from its multiplay. Quake Test has been released easily one year before the full game and was only multiplay. Remove multiplay and it will have fallen into the forgotten era. That's a little what happen to Quake 2 despite its singleplay was good.

@Psychikon:
    I share your point of view about 1 vs many compared to 1 vs few but I'd explain it differently. In Doom series, map designers had many tools to limit monsters movements, many monsters throw slow projectiles you can avoid, the play run much faster than all monster in the game. All of that brought the possibility to combine much more monsters and allowed setup rather complex battles of different sort. It's the not monsters that are smart but the battle setup. No modern shooters get there and tried instead setup smarter monsters, faster monsters. The problem is that you quickly reach player limits with such monsters and can't really setup as complex battles as in Doom series. Only Quake 2 really tried to achieve something similar but was clearly limited in number of monsters because of engine limits. Doom 3 has some battles that remind this approach too and is less limited in number of monsters but that's only a little part of Doom 3 battles that took a similar approach.

For the 3D, it didn't bother me because I switch to Doom mouse when I read first reports about Quake 3D approach and learned in less than a week use the mouse and totally enjoyed use it, well in fact a trackball. And that's why I can't play shooters on consoles.

About fast gameplay, I see only multiplay shooters, some, giving a similar feeling, but I hate have to play those frog games where you jump always like a crazy frog. =))
  • @Harag:
    Ah, but still, in Serious Sam the monsters are typically faster and there are even more than in Doom, with some parts being RIDICULOUS! There was one part in particular that had hundreds of frogs in a spinning tunnel that you could run completely around, and I played that part like fifty times before I finally beat it. You had to keep moving, and even while constantly running you still had to dodge frogs because of the way they came after you. They were faster than you when they jumped, and you couldn't just run straight away from them.

I agree with you on the good points and balance of Doom, and I've had a lot of fun over the years in playing it. I didn't even realize how a mouse and keyboard setup would work when I'd played Quake for the first time, so I was SOL until some time later when I played Quake 3! It took that long for me to realize, and then my game was finally on. I had played on Doom Connector back when I still used the keyboard... It was to the point where I'd have to run down a hall and turn the corner before turning around, 'cause it was too difficult to keep speed and turn at such a slow pace as with the keyboard. Needless to say, I couldn't compete with 75% of the people! :) My old man had told me long ago of the mouse+keyboard approach, and it fell on deaf ears, as I tried it but got confused by the actual movement made by the mouse by default. I didn't think he was saying to actually look around with the mouse... I thought the point was to run around with the mouse and use the keyboard only for shooting and opening doors!
  • I don't know Serious Sam so... For the mouse default, lol yes that's rather useless, I don't know when the setup with mouse only to look has been added in the PC version but in Mac version a guy released relatively soon a tool that allowed that mouse look setup plus custom keys.

The instant turn is one of the point that make mouse + keyboard so pleasant. For corners I'm usually use strafing or run + strafing, and anyway often I take a corner with cautious so. :) I'm not that good at this sort of games but it's just how pleasant are those controls, particularly when the speed is high.
  • OK, staff... bosses... sirs.... wtf is going on with the forum? I made this post in reply to another from memory but now it's on it's own and I look like some troll raging about nothing :(
  • I split the original thread back in September as it had veered off topic.
  • Oh fair enough. Either way I'd still look like a lunatic anyway :))
  • I was just doing some testing with massive amounts of monsters in both Quake (Darkplaces) and Doomsday. I made a similar map in both: 1024*2048 arena with 200 monsters (2 different types). I used 3d models in Doomsday, dynamic lights disabled in Darkplaces. Well, Doomsday was constantly at about 10-18fps, didn't matter what was going on. Darkplaces had some 60fps when everyone was just standing still, but when the fighting was going on, the frame rate dropped below 10. I think the most impact to frame rate in Darkplaces came from the monsters shooting projectiles. In Doomsday the drop came from lots of polygons in the monsters.. much more than in the Quake models.
  • Renderer performance is a known issue in Doomsday presently. We will address the issue once we've got most of the other work required for 2.0 completed.
  • Well, good, though it was still playable... further testing showed me that particle effects in Darkplaces caused the major slowdown. In Doomsday I had to increase the particle spawn rate to somewhere around maximum to get the particle effects cause the slowdown.