Oculus Rift user Player Movement question

edited 2014 Aug 9 in General
first a huge thank you for adding rift support to my all time favorite game. i was wondering if there is any way to change the player movement to disable the "sliding" so that when you release your movement key you stop moving.

Comments

• Sorry, we don't have an option for this at the moment. When it comes to the player movement physics, we've been trying to keep them as close to the original games as possible.

At some point in the future we are planning to add a number of player movement options (for more "modern" style of gameplay), and this one should be one of them.
  • that would be great, it would definitely feel more realistic in VR
  • Since you have started another OR thread perhaps this is the place to ask. Many people are working with textures for the many games, they are looking good on the monitor but I have read that the OR really shows the flatness of textures. Is there some plan or at least suggestions that would make textures seem more believable on the Oculus Rift? I've just installed Mr. Rockets texture pack and it looks good and clean, but flat. On my monitor I mean, I don't even have an OR yet.
  • the rift make all 3D objects look real, like you can reach out and touch them. The better the texture looks on a flat surface the better it will look in 3D
  • do you have a like to his texture pack? i'll give it a test and report back :)
  • Yes, the rift does make all 3d objects look more real. My point isn't about 3d objects, it is about textures. A texture is flat, there is no way around that but particular detail with shadows can make it seem 3d. I am one that says forget the originals, let's go more for believable. I didn't say realistic, I said believable. I have seen too many HD textures that are clean and precise but they are flat. Like paintings on a wall, like posters or decals. Sorry if this offends anybody.
  • Higher resolutions (both game resolution and texture resolution) will reveal the comparative simplicity of the Doom world compared to modern games.

Currently, Dday has no features that can really offset such.
  • Figure I'll keep rift questions here...are there plans to update it with DK2 compatibility? The thought of using the positional tracking to duck a fireball would be awesome
  • are there plans to update it with DK2 compatibility?
    Yes, my DK2 is scheduled to arrive next week. :) Sadly, though, the OS X version of the DK2 SDK isn't out yet, and I'll need that to update Doomsday's VR code. Hopefully they can finish the SDK sooner rather than later.
  • Awesome! Thanks for the update :)