GoldenEye : Source

edited 2009 Sep 13 in Off-Topic
Well a month or so ago I ranted about Quake II : Evolved, an impressive sourceport, but lately (between Doomsday of course) i've been getting into a new mod ever since someone started an Australian server with rankings.

mainroom_complex_mishkin.jpg
run_3.jpg

WATCH THE VIDEO!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source/videos

A faithful re-creation of the original N64 GoldenEye for the HL2/Source engine. What more needs to be said?

I thought i'd share this because the mod is, truley amazing. The models of the guns, all created by their community of course, are absolutely superb. It's a real shame that the best, will-work-for-code creative types out there are glued to the Source engine (albeit it's a pretty impressive technology, even by todays standards).

...well, compare it to the GoldenEye Doom 2 TC (for Edge sourceport) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-doom2/images

=))

Comments

• Yes, I love this mod. Started playing when Beta 3 came out. I'm ranked 7 on the (WNx) stats thing at the moment ( I was #4 not too long ago):

(I'm "JessEH") Look at my Accuracy! ;) Indeed, I am a force to be reckoned with.

http://www.ges-stats.com/hlstats.php?mo ... s&game=ges

I haven't really played for a month or so. I'm waiting for Beta 4, which will be out very soon according to the devs.

I really wish there was more people (more servers). Only two USA servers ever have people on them (WNx Chicago and Octopussy's WetSpot).

There use to be a lot of people right when Beta 3 was released, but then Valve broke the Orange Box based games and made all the servers disappear for a few days, and that really didn't help things.

It is indeed very faithful the original (weapon damages, the invulnerability period after each hit, etc) Of course a few changes need to be made to accommodate more than 4 players, and having mouse/keyboard. Of course it isn't perfect yet, being a beta.

The music is just unbelievably awesome. http://ryanlobbins.com/mods/goldeneye/d ... a3_OST.zip

The map renditions are spectacular.

It's just a fantastic game. Everyone here needs to go play it and make servers for it!

...Beta 4 will be adding the grenade launcher and rocket launcher... and "rolling explosions"! Yay! (And a bunch of other additions and changes/improvements, of course.)
  • Haha JessEH? Wow! Small world.. I'm not a member of official forums, but I do read around there occassionally [P.S. I am a man of Faith, although not Christian :P]

Yes I cannot wait for Beta4. I used to LOVE Rockets/Grande Launchers on temple in N64. I hope Dual Weilding comes soon too.

Unfortunately, the newly opened Sydney server (hosted by Hellrazor.net.au) doesnt use the WNx rankings, I don't know much about Source stuff but it uses HLstatsX or something like that, if that means anything.

I'm 15th right now, but I just started this server yesterday - there is only 135 players in total :P
    http://www.hellrazor.net.au/hlxce/hlsta ... s&game=ges

Seriously, I can't think of a 3rd-party mod i've ever seen with so much quality. Ditto on everything you said, everything from the sexy-sound of the Release Candidate P-90 [my favorite gun in existence] to even the intermission screens, it just reaks of artistic brilliance.

It's these classic shooters that keep me comming back for more. I am planning to get my own dedicated server soon, but probably not for another year. And by the time that happens i'm really hoping Doomsday has 100% of the multiplayer support finished ;) [Skulltag sucks and there are no servers with less than 500ms latency for me anyway so wtf @ that]

Man... the spam shielding just like the original is crazy. I love it how a 1-on-1 face off at close range with e.g. Phantoms can last about 2 minutes, and it's so damn climatic. I can't remember the last time a videogame made my jump up and shout haha.
  • Haha! Indeed it is a small world.

I don't want to start another heavy theological discussion on these forums, but I just want to say that the Judeo-Christian scriptures simply make the most sense to me (and yes, I have done fairly extensive research outside of Christianity. As you might have read, I didn't accept Christ until recently). Every religion outside of Christ ultimately teaches that salvation can be attained through the works of men, and that simply doesn't make sense with an Infinite and Holy God.

But yeah, anyway, GoldenEye: Source is a gem. It deserves more attention than it's currently getting. I commend you on trying to get more people to play it. I really hope it doesn't die out prematurely.
  • Ravencraft wrote:
    Haha! Indeed it is a small world.

I don't want to start another heavy theological discussion on these forums, but I just want to say that the Judeo-Christian scriptures simply make the most sense. Every religion outside of Christ ultimately teaches that salvation can be attained through the works of men, and that simply doesn't make sense with an Infinite and Holy God.
    Neither do I, conversations on Politics and Religion is a flame magnet :P I was always agnostic my entire life, then I took a school of thought of Unitarian Universalism (thanks to the autobiography of M.K. Ghandi) but ultimately I ended up believing that all faith is, at the core, one and the same; and I love Christians and Muslims and Wiccans and even Athiests and respect their heritage as much as my own Asatru kindred. The only problem I have with it, in general, is the institutionalized establishment of the church, using "Divine Right" as a basis of argument, and the use of their heirachial organisation to coerce the general public to their own agenda (Read: Roman Catholic church). But that's a different thing alltogether, because i'm also a panarchist (political belief that no man should ever have authority over another under any circumstance).

But I keep my deep and meaningful philosophy rants to Facebook groups. God knows I babble enough on these forums as it is :P
    Ravencraft wrote:
    But yeah, anyway, GoldenEye: Source is a gem. It deserves more attention than it's currently getting. I commend you on trying to get more people to play it. I really hope it doesn't die out prematurely.
    Yeah, i've been worried of that. What with it being based on a Hollywood movie series, and being a direct "copy" of a licenced Nintendo game (if history teaches us anything, Nintendo HATES that sort of thing). If the developers released the Beta onto Steam right now, for $10, I would definately buy it, and probably gift several copies to other worthwhile players incase they don't have a credit card or whatever. As a believer in the free and open-source movement, I always take the effort to "pay how much I think it's worth" and in my opinion GE:S is worth way more than most of the $80 crap we see being released in retail stores these days. The same goes for the Doomsday Engine and Spring Engine - free stuff is getting really amazing these days :D