Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.6 Released

edited 2009 Sep 20 in News
Version 1.9.0-beta6.6 has been released and will be available to download from SourceForge.net shortly. As usual, release notes are to be found in the wiki: http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title= ... .0-beta6.6

Comments

• Hey, nice to see that release and especially that the Hexen glitch bug is fixed.

But as I said before in the tracker, there is a similar bug as in Hexen in Heretic.
    However, it seems to be similar. Well, it is not "available" at any object and also it takes some seconds before the bug appears.

I'll send you a PM with a video link according to that bug, so that you can see how I'm able to produce the bug.
  • For some reason at the time when I tried to replicate the problem in jHeretic I couldn't. Hence why the fix for this issue was not also employed with jHeretic. Before making the Windows release I did my usual QA run through but this time however I did manage to replicate the problem in jHeretic but unfortunately, it was too late to do anything about it.

This issue will be resolved in jHeretic for the next release.
  • Certainly, it is cool to have the ability to play post map infine after the intermission; it's useful if there is no following map. But it seems strange that the option was added at the cost of being able to play post map infine before the intermission?
  • That is how it works in the original games. The change was made to fix the problem of the missing intermission in DOOM 2 which should occur before the end game finale. In other words its a bug fix because the After animation should have always been after the intermission.

However, I appreciate that a mod author might wish to retain the former behavior in their project. Before making the change I did consider implementing something for this but I decided against it, at least for now. Most likely this will be addressed in an upcoming release.
  • Out of curiosity... You shouldn't have to use GLBSP on the IWADs, should you? I thought that DEng automatically converted them if necessary. The reason I ask is because I didn't see this report in the bugs, and I wanted to know if it was legit. The secret level endings in Ultimate Doom don't seem to work properly. When I play through from E1M1, it restarts me at E1M9 if I complete the secret level. If I warp there instead of playing through, it resets me to E1M1, but in either case, it doesn't even show the intermission screen - it just warps. I tried it with E2M9 as well, and it was the same deal. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled 1.9.0-beta6.6 again, and it still acted up. It did this with or without ANY packages installed.
  • Psychikon, I have experienced similar issues as well playing through Ultimate Doom. Episode 1 worked fine for me up until E1M9, but 9 times out of 10, when I finished E2M1, it'd bring me right back to the start of E2M1.

More information can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=542099

And it's been just a night or two since the beta 6.6 release, and it's great to see that DaniJ and skyjake have gotten a headstart on beta 6.7.
  • I can confirm the map exit problem in both jDoom (DOOM 1 only) and jHeretic. The issue has already been resovled as it was simply a case of updating the MapInfo definitions for these games.

We may decide to update the release packages given its only been a day or so since we put it out but in the meantime, I have uploaded the fixed versions of these DED files here should you wish to resolve it yourself, now:

To patch jDoom:
    Download http://files.dengine.net/hotfixes/jdoom/doom1maps.ded
    Open data/jdoom/jDoom.pk3 in (e.g.) WinZip and replace the file defs/jdoom/doom1maps.ded

To patch jHeretic:
    Download http://files.dengine.net/hotfixes/jheretic/maps.ded
    Open data/jheretic/jHeretic.pk3 in (e.g.) WinZip and replace the file defs/jheretic/maps.ded
    Psychikon wrote:
    Out of curiosity... You shouldn't have to use GLBSP on the IWADs, should you?
    No, it is not necessary to run GLBSP on maps before they can be played with Doomsday. Doomsday features its own internal node builder which will automatically run during map load (regardless whether there is node data present in the map because Doomsday requires specially constructed node data).
  • I got all excited when I saw this in the wiki:
    MP3 playback is once again working as expected when using the default audio plugin; SDL_mixer

However, upon loading a game with the playstation Doom Mp3 track, I get no music still. It doesn't matter if I use direct3d, SDL_Mixer, or OpenAL. I get no music with Mp3s. I have all the Mp3s in a WAD file that are named the same as the corresponding Doom tracks that they overwrite. I added the WAD file to Snowberry as an addon in a fresh installation of Beta 6.6. No luck. With the SDL_Mixer, I hear a really fast "click" of the intro song, then the music is cut off and silenced. :/

My system specs:
    Windows XP
    Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS
    1GB of Ram
    Creative Audigy 2 soundcard
  • AFAIK, playback of MP3 from WAD lumps has never been supported (not strictly 100% true because it should be possible via the DD_DIREC mod authoring feature but I doubt this is the case here).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    AFAIK, playback of MP3 from WAD lumps has never been supported (not strictly 100% true because it should be possible via the DD_DIREC mod authoring feature but I doubt this is the case here).

What do you mean it isn't supported? I've been playing MP3s through a WAD file since Jdoom first got Mp3 support. It only broke during the first beta version. Do you mean it is no longer supported? So, without reading through a crapload of Readme files or performing hours of forum searches, how DO I get them working now? I can't be bothered looking it up - nor do I feel the obligation to, since I've been using the same MP3 WAD file for years now...
  • Note that I preceded my comment with AFAIK. I have only been a developer on the deng project since the 1.9.0-beta series began and in my time there has been no support for MP3 playback using that method. In addition, from the looks of the present code there is quite simply no implementation for it. In which case, I must assume that when FMOD was ripped out this feature was lost along with it. I do note however that the console command playmusic does support this but only because it does absolutely no format checking whatsoever and merely throws a pre-buffered chunk of data at the music playback API and says "here, play this NOW!".

Now that I know that this is a feature regression I'll see what I can do to address it.
  • I assumed you had used Jdoom long enough before the beta versions to know that much about mp3 support, but I guess I was wrong. Thank you for looking into it. It will be nice when Doomsday is back to what it used to be - a mostly bug-free (minus a few crashes) engine. :)
  • DaniJ wrote:
    We may decide to update the release packages given its only been a day or so since we put it out but in the meantime, I have uploaded the fixed versions of these DED files here should you wish to resolve it yourself, now:
    YES! Thanks so much, dude! I was looking in the mapinfo definitions earlier but didn't realise what could be wrong. I'll study this also along with importing it for future reference! ;)
  • I assumed you had used Jdoom long enough before the beta versions to know that much about mp3 support, but I guess I was wrong.
    Whilst that is true the only music addons I used were those which packaged the files as ZIP/PK3 and I was never big in to playing PWADs.

It was only when I started to become interested in playing PWADs that I found Doomsday in any way lacking. In truth I begrudgingly ended up "resorting" to using other ports to play them. This was the catalyst which prompted me to get involved in the deng project as a developer because I wanted to be able to play them in Doomsday as they were intended but with all the audio/visual polish I had come to expect =D>
    It will be nice when Doomsday is back to what it used to be - a mostly bug-free (minus a few crashes) engine. :)
    I can honestly say that (for me at least) stability has improved considerably over the course of the 1.9.0 betas. Although we have a lot of work remaining to be done to fix the (relatively minor) bugs which have result in the process.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    It was only when I started to become interested in playing PWADs that I found Doomsday in any way lacking. In truth I begrudgingly ended up "resorting" to using other ports to play them. This was the catalyst which prompted me to get involved in the deng project as a developer because I wanted to be able to play them in Doomsday as they were intended but with all the audio/visual polish I had come to expect =D>

I've always wanted better support of PWADs as well. Have you managed to accomplish this yet? I know there used to be some Megawads I couldn't play in Doomsday very well. This actually reminds me... I remember there being an issue before with high-res textures/3d models and PWADs. If a PWAD replaces a texture or model in Doom, the high-res textures / 3d models have priority over it. For example, if a PWAD replaces the Cyberdemon with its own new boss sprite, and I have the JDRP loaded on top of that, then I will see the Cyberdemon 3d model instead of the new Boss sprite (not even knowing that the PWAD had a new boss). Does Doomsday have an option to bypass this? In other words, if I were playing a PWAD in Doom2, then the loading priority goes like this, with the last one having the highest priority:

Doom2 ---> Add-ons (textures/models) ---> PWAD

Basically, the point of this is to have the add-ons only replace default content, and NOT content modified by the PWAD. I guess the only issue with this is if an author decided to include a lot of duplicates that have the same content as the original iWAD in the PWAD. In that case, you would start seeing original content without the add-ons. But most professionally made PWADs won't have this issue.

This post might be mostly redundant now, because I think I remember Snowberry having some sort of loading priority.
  • I've always wanted better support of PWADs as well. Have you managed to accomplish this yet?
    That is a hard question to answer but I think Doomsday has certainly come a long way in this respect. Doomsday is now capable of playing the biggest maps the community has produced thus far (albeit with some noticeable performance issues currently) and it is far less susceptible to falling fowl of mods which use little known/undocumented WAD map format features (for example, packed sidedefs). Plus, DOOM.exe rendering tricks are much less likely to result in rendering glitches (although there is little emulation for them currently) and many of the issues seen with total conversions have too been resolved.

My work thus far on this front has been mostly to establish a stable base to support future work (and by that I mean "rationalized" maps). I think that now with our own internal node builder, new map representation with the isolation of maps within the engine; we have pretty much achieved that.

My work on Doomsday from 1.9.0-beta7 onwards should begin to focus more on the planned in-game editing features and the "nitty gritty" of better PWAD compatibility. As we get closer to the 2.0 release I intend to return to things like the support of DOOM.exe rendering tricks and maybe even BOOM support (though that may be postponed until a future 2.x release provided the required functionality the BOOM feature-set imposes is factored in to the 2.0 architecture).
    TC numerous aspects of some of the "big name"than I know there used to be some Megawads I couldn't play in Doomsday very well. This actually reminds me... I remember there being an issue before with high-res textures/3d models and PWADs. If a PWAD replaces a texture or model in Doom, the high-res textures / 3d models have priority over it. For example, if a PWAD replaces the Cyberdemon with its own new boss sprite, and I have the JDRP loaded on top of that, then I will see the Cyberdemon 3d model instead of the new Boss sprite (not even knowing that the PWAD had a new boss). Does Doomsday have an option to bypass this?
    This is precisely the kind of thing which I intend to address but it depends on work yet to be scheduled but which is part of the proposed 2.0 architecture.
  • I have no idea what I am talking about, so please disregard this post.

I never made any map source-port specific, but I know I pushed JDoom to the limit when I was mapping, long ago, and had slow downs when testing some of my big maps. Typical, "too many dynamic lights" problem. Crimson Canyon did this, but I need to play through and get to the huge open Hell maps where it showed up before I can really comment now.

I specifically wrote in the read me for my maps that this could happen because that was what my testers told me. My last mapset I also said to disable all but HUD models in JDoom or you would see funny things. I never made new enemies with XWE, just new graphics. I made new sprite sets, but not models. Probably I could have made new skins if I new how to do that. Black Imp. Green Bull Demon.

Changed some decoration sprites to fit my map, and you would not see them if all models were enabled in Jdoom, just see some things that seem really out of place.

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry. My only real point here is that someone should list in the read-me that old saves are not compatible. Can't install b6.6 over b6.5.

I found that my saves make transparent textures passible (sp= passable?) even when they are tagged not. Uninstall all Doomsday folder and reinstall, then everything works perfectly as much as I play.

It would be nice if we could find GLBSP info and delete that.
  • psyren wrote:
    My last mapset I also said to disable all but HUD models in JDoom or you would see funny things. I never made new enemies with XWE, just new graphics. I made new sprite sets, but not models. Probably I could have made new skins if I new how to do that. Black Imp. Green Bull Demon.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. It would be great to have a feature where a PWAD such as yours will have priority over the model pack. So basically, you only see 3d models where there is unchanged content. It should be an option that you can toggle on and off, though.
  • This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. It would be great to have a feature where a PWAD such as yours will have priority over the model pack. So basically, you only see 3d models where there is unchanged content. It should be an option that you can toggle on and off, though.
    Well that would pretty much mean just checking for what's added in the pwad, and then judging it against what's used for models, not accepting it? That kind of a venture might be fortuitous, considering how the engine is headed with in-game addons changes and such? I thought that's where it was going, or was it merely in-game editing only?

Dani, if I may ask...
    About the reaction for running into walls... It looks as though what it does is, if you run into it too hard or too fast, it basically reverses the direction to where you "bounce" off of the walls. Is this how it works?
    If that's true, do you think a loop to push it out of the wall without changing the velocity would be taxing on the engine, so long if nothing else was updated during it? Probably not, right?
    I had just noticed that I had a few weird effects playing Doom the other day, back when I complained about the map thing! :D
    It's funny, I hadn't played in years, and I had forgotten how to get to the secret level...but in the meanwhile, I noticed the bounce effect and slightly occasionally (once or twice only, not very reproducable) getting a little jammed in the wall.
  • psyren wrote:
    My only real point here is that someone should list in the read-me that old saves are not compatible. Can't install b6.6 over b6.5.
    Compatibility is only guaranteed with saved games produced by full Doomsday releases. We can't guarantee backward compatibility with saved games from earlier beta releases because occasionally a problem is found that cannot be resolved using the information available.

This was the case with the 1.9.0-beta6.6 release as it was found that saved games produced by the previous release had not stored linedef flags correctly and so they could not be restored.
    It would be nice if we could find GLBSP info and delete that.
    At present Doomsday does not cache node data at all.
    About the reaction for running into walls... It looks as though what it does is, if you run into it too hard or too fast, it basically reverses the direction to where you "bounce" off of the walls. Is this how it works?
    In DOOM when a player attempts to cross into a wall there is an algorithm which first snaps their position back into the world before then allowing the player to "slide" along the wall.

There is a known issue with this algorithm at present which has come about since the change to floating point precision.
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the wall sliding bug existed in the original Doom. I say if the bug existed in the original Doom and could possibly make movement interesting - like the wall sliding bug, then leave it in. I actually use that bug to move around large spaces faster sometimes in Singleplayer when it gets boring moving from one end of a giant room to the other. The only bug I can think of off the top of my head that I'd like to see fixed from the original Doom is Lost Souls getting stuck outside the map from Pain Elementals exploding in a tight space. It always annoys the crap out of me when I hear them outside the map... The Lost souls should instantly die if they get stuck in the void.
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the wall sliding bug existed in the original Doom. I say if the bug existed in the original Doom and could possibly make movement interesting - like the wall sliding bug, then leave it in. I actually use that bug to move around large spaces faster sometimes in Singleplayer when it gets boring moving from one end of a giant room to the other.
    That is not the same issue. That is what has become known as "wallrunning" because it exploits the behavior I mentioned, allowing the player to run far faster that they would otherwise be allowed. This behavior will be retained as it is one of those bugs that has become widely accepted as an integral element of the play mechanics (especially in deathmatch).
    The only bug I can think of off the top of my head that I'd like to see fixed from the original Doom is Lost Souls getting stuck outside the map from Pain Elementals exploding in a tight space. It always annoys the crap out of me when I hear them outside the map...
    This issue was fixed a while back.
  • This issue was fixed a while back.

Ah, I guess I missed it. Nice, then.
  • I get a Segmentation violation in Hexen MAP04 (Guardian of Fire) after crossing a certain line, after you entered the map with the portal in MAP03 (Guardian of Ice).

Here's a screenshot of the position:
    http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2421/d ... 948230.jpg

If you walk along the wall you'll pass a line and a wall will come out and tries to push you down (it may happen that you'll stand in the wall, due to that clipping errors I think).
    After that the bridge will come up and you can access the switch in the middle.

That works so far, but if the Afrits are coming up I cannot shot them. All shots will go through them and a bit later I'll get the segmentation violation.

That's the end of the Doomsday.out (but I don't think it gives useful informations):
    Map 4 (4): GUARDIAN OF FIRE

P_MapInitPolyobjs: Warning: Multiple polyobjs in a single subsector
      (ssec 3, sector 141). Previous polyobj overridden.
      (ssec 0, sector 151). Previous polyobj overridden.
      (ssec 548, sector 37). Previous polyobj overridden.
    Segmentation Violation

EDIT:
    I found you cannot shot the Afrits even if you haven't passed the line.
  • There's is a bug, in The Ultimate Doom at the level "Hell Keep" when you finish it, you go back to the bigging
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I can confirm the map exit problem in both jDoom (DOOM 1 only) and jHeretic. The issue has already been resovled as it was simply a case of updating the MapInfo definitions for these games.

To patch jDoom:
    Download http://files.dengine.net/hotfixes/jdoom/doom1maps.ded
    Open data/jdoom/jDoom.pk3 in (e.g.) WinZip and replace the file defs/jdoom/doom1maps.ded

To patch jHeretic:
    Download http://files.dengine.net/hotfixes/jheretic/maps.ded
    Open data/jheretic/jHeretic.pk3 in (e.g.) WinZip and replace the file defs/jheretic/maps.ded

Hi Dani,

I'm having a bit of trouble accessing the Heretic maps.ded download link (I'm getting a "Forbidden, perhaps you need to change the file permissions for this document or upload an index page." message)

Just to confirm, this should resolve the map restarting bug I'm currently experiencing, right? (While playing the second episode level "The Crater", the map will constantly restart when I complete the level.)

Thanks!
  • Dani, I quickly went ahead and unpackaged my Playstation Doom MP3 WAD into data\jdoom\music to test it out, and Mp3s still have issues. With the SDL_Mixer, the menu music will only sometimes play; other times, I will hear a split second of the music before it stops. If I go to start a new singleplayer game, there is no more music at all upon loading the first level. So basically, I can only occasionally hear the menu music... Mp3s don't work at all for the other Sound drivers.
  • I just disable the music so the menu music or stats screen music won't carry on playing into the first part of each level. It is strange if it does that and annoying. Just keep the sound without the music is all you can do until a better release that supports music and mp3s/oggs is released.

Doomsday is disappointingly limited with its features. Ironic since it is the year 2009.
    I've always wanted better support of PWADs as well. Have you managed to accomplish this yet? I know there used to be some Megawads I couldn't play in Doomsday very well. This actually reminds me... I remember there being an issue before with high-res textures/3d models and PWADs. If a PWAD replaces a texture or model in Doom, the high-res textures / 3d models have priority over it. For example, if a PWAD replaces the Cyberdemon with its own new boss sprite, and I have the JDRP loaded on top of that, then I will see the Cyberdemon 3d model instead of the new Boss sprite (not even knowing that the PWAD had a new boss). Does Doomsday have an option to bypass this? In other words, if I were playing a PWAD in Doom2, then the loading priority goes like this, with the last one having the highest priority:

Doom2 ---> Add-ons (textures/models) ---> PWAD

Maybe that would fix the texture problem when using the hi-res pack in Eternal. Maybe then I would be able to play Eternal in such a way to where I can see the PWAD textures where they should be and also be able to have the hi-res textures from the pack replace the Doom/Doom II/TNT original textures that may be used in Eternal without the hi-res pack over-writing the PWAD textures in that specific WAD.

Maybe if I experiment, I can still have my wish. I may have to make a texture folder and copy over only the Doom/Doom II/TNT hi-res textures that will replace the Doom/Doom II/TNT original textures that are used in Eternal, and leave out the ones that are replaced by a PWAD texture. That may take some time of trial and error. I may have to exclude most, if not all switch textures since that PWAD has its own textures for switches.

Strange that when I play Eternal, it seems to have some fan-made hi-res textures that probably replaced some old fan-made blurry ones. I don't remember those hi-res fan-made ones when I was using 1.8.6. Maybe those are some hidden ones included in the base Beta file. Probably not from an old file like Eternal. Were there some hi-res fan-made textures, including fan-made sky textures, included and embedded into these Beta releases?
  • Milten wrote:
    I get a Segmentation violation in Hexen MAP04 (Guardian of Fire) after crossing a certain line, after you entered the map with the portal in MAP03 (Guardian of Ice).
    Please submit a bug report about the problem.
    Urizen wrote:
    I'm having a bit of trouble accessing the Heretic maps.ded download link (I'm getting a "Forbidden, perhaps you need to change the file permissions for this document or upload an index page." message)
    Your web browser is not interpreting the file as a download. Most browsers have an option to right click the link and save the target file (such as Firefox's "Save link as"), use that method to download the file(s).
    Dani, I quickly went ahead and unpackaged my Playstation Doom MP3 WAD into data\jdoom\music to test it out, and Mp3s still have issues. With the SDL_Mixer, the menu music will only sometimes play; other times, I will hear a split second of the music before it stops. If I go to start a new singleplayer game, there is no more music at all upon loading the first level. So basically, I can only occasionally hear the menu music... Mp3s don't work at all for the other Sound drivers.
    Can you please zip those music files and email them to me (danij@dengine.net) so I can try to debug the problem. I will state again that with 1.9.0-beta6.6 and SDL_mixer as the audio plugin; MP3/OGG playback works just fine for me with the handful of addons I used to test it.
    gary wrote:
    Doomsday is disappointingly limited with its features. Ironic since it is the year 2009.
    I'm sorry to hear that. What in particular do you feel Doomsday is lacking?
  • Well, when it comes to PWADs and not even having the ability to play mp3s or oggs anymore, and the mp3 file type is not a new music file type. Also, everything is out of date and in PWADs like Eternal, you see glitches through certain parts of the walls (and this was said to be fixed in beta 6, I thought) when you have steps and you can see right through them. The engine also seems to have many limitations when it comes to graphics. It isn't my hardware that slows down the game but the way Doomsday is currently written, according to what I read and also knowing that certain issues have nothing to do with my hardware. Also, I have good hardware. An Athlon 6000+ processor with a Radeon HD 3870 video card.

You say that a certain number of dynamic lights or worldy lights slows down the game, but there shouldn't be such an issue, especially with the capabilities of computers these days in the year 2009. Also, to not even be able to correctly display low-res textures in old WADs like Eternal seems odd. I just keep reading about many limitations lately, like you and maybe others saying "Doomsday can't do this; can't do that. Doomsday only allows a number of this, and only allows that". Things like that.

Of course I still like it and play it and at least I have no fatal crashes. That is a saving grace. But it is disappointing that Eternal still displays incorrectly drawn textures; invisible stairs and odd clear areas on some walls and steps and the inability to have the hi-res pack replace only the textures in Eternal that are also used in Doom/Doom II and still be able to have the normal PWAD textures appear where they should. That way, I can play Eternal without being forced to play with almost all textures being low-res just to be able to see the ones made for Eternal.

Maybe I can manually copy the hi-res textures that will replace some low-res Doom/Doom II textures used in Eternal, and therefore not all textures in the texture pack will be used, and that will let me have some hi-res ones present without overlapping Eternal specific ones.