Show Keys and Messages

edited 2013 Jun 1 in Technical Support
Hello...

I'm using a Windows machine, and have had several versions of the Doomsday Engine installed. I recently upgraded to the latest, stable version of the DE. In previous versions I was able to see messages in the upper left corner of the screen AND was able to set things so the key cards would show in the lower right part of the screen during gameplay. In this new version I am unable to get either to show, and I've been thru the Options at least a dozen times, and I've looked all over on this site and elsewhere.

Does anyone know how to set these parameters?

Also, I would like to mention, in case any of the DE developers are looking, each time I get the game customized the way I like it, an UPGRADE messes it up, and I have to go thru this kind of searching and hunting for how to put things back. Just an FYI there.

Any ideas anyone has, I'd appreciate. B-)

Thank you

Comments

• + and - control screen size. When the screen size is max, pressing + again will display Dday's full screen hud.

For fine control over what appears on Dday's full screen hud, check the hud menu under options.

As long as you are not using Windows XP, Dday by default should store your add-ons and config files in your documents folder and hence your settings shouldn't be lost when you upgrade.

If your using WinXP, Dday defaults to storing your settings in the Dday folder, hence the config files need to be manually moved whenever you upgrade. You can make Dday on XP behave like newer versions of Windows by adding -home to your Snowberry shortcut.
  • I had no idea it would matter, but I AM using Win XP. I'm afraid I don't really understand your comments, or solution to this. :( Is there documentation for this kind of thing hidden somewhere? If so, I have not found it yet. Otherwise would you mind posting a tad more detail that I can follow a bit more closely? Sorry for the trouble!

If this software was documented better I could do this myself, but since it does not seem to be, less learned users, like me, are pretty handicapped.

thank you!!!
  • Windows XP:
    On Windows XP by default, each version of Dday on your computer will create its own config files and add-on's and store them in the 'Snowberry/runtime' folder within it's own folder. Hence to transfer your settings to a new version of Dday (such as when you update), you have to manually copy these files.

This default behaviour can be overruled, by adding '-home' to the command line of your Snowberry shortcut. This will make Dday on XP behave like newer versions of Windows with regards to config files and add-ons...

Windows Vista/7/8:
    On all newer versions of Windows, all the versions of Dday on your computer share the same config files and add-on's and they are stored in a folder called 'Doomsday frontend' in your 'Documents' or 'Documents and settings' folder (the name of this folder depends on the version of Windows).
  • THANK YOU....that was the problem (or issue)! I would have never found that on my own.

The only difference I see now is the gameplay seems a little choppier than it was before. Does that make any sense? Previously as the game was played it seemed more smooth, or fluid. Now it's a little jerkier. Any ideas? Or should I submit another topic for this question?

Thanks again....I appreciate your help a great deal!
  • Vermil....

Nevermind!

I found a solution via another thread. Turns out I had to turn the anti-aliasing OFF via the control panel to get the more smooth flow of the game. I wanted to give you a heads-up.

Peace~
    B-)