a suitable Corvus

edited 2009 Sep 4 in Heretic
corvusconceptart.th.jpg

Does that look like a suitable Corvus visage?

Comments

• The cheeks are a little too wide, but otherwise, a very good rendition. Great one.
  • g6672D wrote:
    The cheeks are a little too wide, but otherwise, a very good rendition. Great one.

Thank you :)

I was thinking of redoing the Corvus model next, and perhaps (unless someone else takes the show) the Baratus, Parias, and Daedolon models. It wouldn't be too difficult to make the four out of one base rig, and just change around the model to suit the different characters. It would also save time in re-rigging and re-modeling whole models. Textures could be mapped similarly and the textures themselves could be similar in certain ways, thus saving more energy.
  • Dude it looks great, you drew this?

Cheeks arn't too big in my opinion, just pretend he's like.. a Half-Elf or something... he'd want to be buff anyway what with his battles...

...but i'm easily impressed. I can't draw for crap. Well done!
  • JonusC wrote:
    Dude it looks great, you drew this?

Cheeks arn't too big in my opinion, just pretend he's like.. a Half-Elf or something... he'd want to be buff anyway what with his battles...

...but i'm easily impressed. I can't draw for crap. Well done!
    THANK YOU!!!
    Well, I always liked to draw, but you know what? The calligraphy (ink) tool in GIMP really makes all the difference when drawing something. It looks like a comic or something, right? It would look a lot worse in pencil without some special attention paid! :)

You know what it is? I think he's missing more of the "sucked-in" thin face of a real elf-y person. Also, the ears should rather be drawn back more and the bottoms pulled out some more, right? If you notice the FACEA0-FACEA3 replacements in the patches, they look very human... I don't even think the ears are pointy. Maybe I should update that stuff! :D Let's take it easy, though... Gotta work on one thing at a time! I still haven't even released that HUD wand model :( When I do, though, since I like the way the texture is on it originally, I'll just try to make that another option then with the DEDs.
  • GIMP? Oooohhhh.. i'm thinking CorelDRAW, Corel Painter or at least Adobe Illustrator... even more kudos! Next thing you're gonna tell me you did that with a mouse and not a Tablet...

Well this is something open to question, since we don't really have any original drawings to go on. I can understand wanting him more Elf looking, mainly because of the way he was depicted in Heretic II. But as far as authenticity goes... well that's a matter of opinion. From the Wikipedia article of the Heretic storyline...
    ...Taking advantage of the elves' weakened state, the disciples of the Serpent Riders struck against the elves and killed the elders. Afterwards, the Sidhe went into hiding. One however, revealed in the sequel to be named Corvus, sets out in search of D'Sparil, the weakest of the three Serpent Riders and the only one remaining in Parthoris.

...one would assume that Corvus is somewhat a hero (or generic braveman) among the Sidhe. While they are naturally magical in nature, I always envisioned Corvus as a... well, a buff Elf. But it's probably because of the fast-paced, furious action we get within the game - and being a Doom-engine game, one can be biased on such things.

Regardless, that's more of a rant than anything - just a personal viewpoint on the whole idea. Redesigning the main character for a game so old shouldn't be taken lightly! But now I flip sides. On final opinion, I think Corvus should be roughly depicted identical as in Heretic II for the sake of integrity. Perhaps a little younger though, but that's hard to do - Heretic II textures arn't exactly high definition!

Go for it - make him Elf like. Just not feminine LOTR elf-like, gotta have some muscle in there somehow :P

EDIT: Off to research/find some Heretic/Hexen/Serpent Riders universe material out of boredom, particularly the FMV's from the PlayStation version
  • JonusC wrote:
    GIMP? Oooohhhh.. i'm thinking CorelDRAW, Corel Painter or at least Adobe Illustrator... even more kudos! Next thing you're gonna tell me you did that with a mouse and not a Tablet...
    Well, the GIMP calligraphy tool takes the cake on inkwork stuff, but I'd use the Corel Painter Essentials 2.0 to do pencil-like stuff and possibly more painting things instead. The unique way in which it works with the brushes is pleasant, and GIMP doesn't have such features as of yet.
    JonusC wrote:
    Well this is something open to question, since we don't really have any original drawings to go on. I can understand wanting him more Elf looking, mainly because of the way he was depicted in Heretic II. But as far as authenticity goes... well that's a matter of opinion.
    Au contraire, mon ami!
    corvus.th.gif
    That was on the Heretic II CD! :D I couldn't install it, 'cause what I originally was going to do was look at the 3D model to see what he looked like there.
    It showed some pictures of others of his people, but they didn't look impressive - they looked exquisitely reminiscent of all of the mid-90s high fantasy people. Think "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys"! =))
    JonusC wrote:
    Go for it - make him Elf like. Just not feminine LOTR elf-like, gotta have some muscle in there somehow :P

EDIT: Off to research/find some Heretic/Hexen/Serpent Riders universe material out of boredom, particularly the FMV's from the PlayStation version
    That just reminded me of a crazy idea that I have...
  • Woohoo! Wouldn't you know it, Heretic II is the only one in the series I don't own on CD... Didn't I tell ya though? Corvus is a mighty warrior! His muscles bulging in the sunset like a glorious bronze demigod...

XD

You do what you feel is right man. I know enough about art to know that creativity doesn't take well to suggestions - it does it's own thing! Follow it, i'm rooting for you!
    That just reminded me of a crazy idea that I have...
    Quite a while ago I started ripping every single Doom/Heretic/Hexen related datafile from all ports and versions I can find, while the PSX has higher-quality (albeit quite different) sound effects, making a Mod of this is a violation of the EULA since they are still Commercial games :(

Dunno what your idea is if it isn't related to that =P

I'm also interested in, one day in my life before I die (LOL), to create my own story of the original Heretic sagas (all seven games/expansions) in a more Role-playing, plot-driven game with full dialogue and NPC's and all that. Still First Person though. I've written a lot of fan fiction, but i'm waiting for Deng2 before I even start thinking about how it'll be made (hence the far-future plan).

I always drag you off topic with me Psychikon... keep us posted!
  • JonusC wrote:
    Woohoo! Wouldn't you know it, Heretic II is the only one in the series I don't own on CD... Didn't I tell ya though?
    Yes! That's strange about Heretic II and Hexen II... I think because of the version of Windows, or with the Heretic II CD it could be the fact that there's dried soda or something syrupy on the backside of it...
    Anyway, neither of them want to install! :( I could just...you know...find a copy online somewhere...IT WOULDN'T BE STEALING! I already bought them! :( I also bought Mageslayer a while back and couldn't play it... Speaking of the Ultima series (see below), do you remember the Raven game Shadowcaster? :D Kirt from that game is kind of like my kind of badass, though. A brawny guy in plain clothes who kicks seedpod monsters to oblivion! Funny thing is, the same deal goes with the avatar in the Ultima series, and Shadowcaster was based on the Ultima Underworld engine in the same way that Heretic, Heretic II, Hexen, and Hexen II were all based off of other peoples' game engines... ;)
    You do what you feel is right man. I know enough about art to know that creativity doesn't take well to suggestions - it does it's own thing! Follow it, i'm rooting for you!
    I know what you mean... I start to get frustrated if I get too much nitpicking, but it's usually for the best. No one should have the reigns to a person's own creativity, but as far as perfecting a thing and giving ideas, that's always welcome! :)
    Dunno what your idea is if it isn't related to that =P
    It has to do with different skins for the model... ;)
    I'm also interested in, one day in my life before I die (LOL), to create my own story of the original Heretic sagas (all seven games/expansions) in a more Role-playing, plot-driven game with full dialogue and NPC's and all that. Still First Person though. I've written a lot of fan fiction, but i'm waiting for Deng2 before I even start thinking about how it'll be made (hence the far-future plan).

I always drag you off topic with me Psychikon... keep us posted!
    That's why I originally put this into the off-topic forums... :) It's ok, though... I was kind of feeling that way about the Ultima Collection. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about the Metroid series and ESPECIALLY the Legend of Zelda series...

Anyway, if you're going to wait for full dialogue and all of this and that, you might want to (and please understand, I'm not saying to abandon deng) make a mod for a game more suited to that - something like Oblivion! The only thing is that it's a lot more complex to make certain mods for that game... :(
  • Psychikon wrote:
    Yes! That's strange about Heretic II and Hexen II... I think because of the version of Windows, or with the Heretic II CD it could be the fact that there's dried soda or something syrupy on the backside of it...

LOL! Use toothpaste, a bit of water, and rub from inside (apex) to outside under a tap (never a circular motion). The toothpaste gets any sh*t off and doesn't burn the plastic :) I probably would have less luck being on Win7 x64, but just DL an aband**w*** copy or manually unpack the CD or something and replace all the naughty-illegal files with your legitimate retail files or something... i'm sure you'll sort it!
    Psychikon wrote:
    I also bought Mageslayer a while back and couldn't play it... Speaking of the Ultima series (see below), do you remember the Raven game Shadowcaster? :D Kirt from that game is kind of like my kind of badass, though. A brawny guy in plain clothes who kicks seedpod monsters to oblivion! Funny thing is, the same deal goes with the avatar in the Ultima series, and Shadowcaster was based on the Ultima Underworld engine in the same way that Heretic, Heretic II, Hexen, and Hexen II were all based off of other peoples' game engines... ;)
    Mageslayer i'm familiar with, Ultima not much anymore since it's been so long, and YES I remember Shadowcaster! Good fun that one. And yeah, Raven were always known to use other dev engines. Same as Rogue Entertainment. I believe those two were 'sponsered' by iD Software when they first started and actually shared the same office building for many years after.
    Psychikon wrote:
    That's why I originally put this into the off-topic forums... :) It's ok, though... I was kind of feeling that way about the Ultima Collection. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about the Metroid series and ESPECIALLY the Legend of Zelda series...
    I can't count the ammount of Ultima remakes/reboots/unofficial expansions i've seen on both hands. Metroid 1 got a reboot with Zero Mission (which rocked) but Zelda would be good too... unauthorized creations based on Nintendo IP's tend to get shut down very quickly though.
    Psychikon wrote:
    Anyway, if you're going to wait for full dialogue and all of this and that, you might want to (and please understand, I'm not saying to abandon deng) make a mod for a game more suited to that - something like Oblivion! The only thing is that it's a lot more complex to make certain mods for that game... :(
    Well all this is pre-draft stages even. Oblivion/Fallout3 engine is out of the question as it's not a free game/engine, and also has no Multiplayer support. I'd like to develop a game one day along-side an engine development, something that's more of a hobby than for money. Something about Doomsday Engine just speaks to me, it's got spirit, and it's a relatively simple engine that's got so much potential behind it - so I want to learn at a steady pace with an engine that'll remain active in development.

PLUS it's FREE! And to avoid copyright violation, the mod would require the original Heretic.wad anyway (despite it trying to be 100% original content) so a Doom-based engine remake is the way to go. And I think you know what I mean when I say I can see Doomsday really going somewhere ;) Why not think about an original game in this engine in future? Something to show the world - "yes, it does rock, make games like this!"

Ahem. As you were gentlemen... <:-P
  • Well to be honest, I really, really liked this game called Alien Logic: Skyrealms of Jorune that was based off of the Skyrealms of Jorune tile strategy game. Who knows? Maybe it will be as simple as making objects that look like people but have effects (like in Hexen) when you click them, either putting up random text or speaking full audio. It would probably be difficult to make a choice-based text system, though... "flip this switch over here if you mean yes"!
  • Just to be honest Shadow Caster was based on a prototype doom engine and i think it is stated on ravens web site.
  • Psychikon wrote:
    When moving it I didn't realize you guys would end up so far off-topic ;)
  • DaniJ wrote:
    When moving it I didn't realize you guys would end up so far off-topic ;)
    Sorry :))
  • aHEM.... so that Corvus guy, is he a champion or what?

Is the guy in the Heretic title screen supposed to be 'The Heretic' you play in the game? Corvus was unnamed at the time I know, but it's a drastic change isnt it. Maybe someone will need to make a new titlepic to accompany Psych's Heretic-universe authentic model :))
  • JonusC wrote:
    aHEM.... so that Corvus guy, is he a champion or what?

Is the guy in the Heretic title screen supposed to be 'The Heretic' you play in the game? Corvus was unnamed at the time I know, but it's a drastic change isnt it. Maybe someone will need to make a new titlepic to accompany Psych's Heretic-universe authentic model :))
    I'm basing it on the Corvus from Heretic 2, and I think his name was mentioned as Corvus in the gamebook or something like that. He looks similar enough to where it won't make a difference.
    The thing I was thinking of was making the cloak a separate md2/dmd, and then giving it a tiny transparent skin on certain player skins, making him "without" it, and thus looking more like a Heretic 2 Corvus. I can go ahead and post a screenshot of the actual mesh, although I need to work on the shoulder. I'm having difficulty making a both properly-shaped and properly-warpable shoulder. It discouraged me, and I stopped working on it after only making the mesh, but I'll probably start back up again today!
    I was making a basic human body first to start off with, and then would add the details to the respective models afterwards, so his body is perhaps slightly too beefy in some areas to be a Corvus, but we can sort that out later!
    So here it is:

Basic Corvus/Human Mesh
  • Don't worry, I know how models are usually made - polygon refining comes later ;)

I like it already.
  • JonusC wrote:
    Don't worry, I know how models are usually made - polygon refining comes later ;)

I like it already.
    I'm about to have to make a new post in the addons section if I start posting anymore screenshots! :-O
    ...although I have started on the rig :)
  • Good idea. We (or I) filled the first page with organised insanity, this was a nice inquiry/introduction thread but yeah - start a new one when you have something to show off =D