MD2 sub-model blocking

edited 2013 Jan 17 in General
Hello!

After some advice and thoughts on something I am a little stuck on.

When I create a MD2 model I can setup the 'Radius' and 'Height' under 'Thing'. This will define the area to block projectiles and the player (given the illusion it is solid) - cool

However, say I have a very long model, if I set the radius too high, the player will not be able to get near it because the circle would have to be very large to engulf the model. If I make the radius too small the layer can walk through ends of the model - both being sucky results!

So to get around this I wanted to create a simple invisible triangle sub-model and place it every so many squares along the main long model, defining a smaller blocking radius to that model to give the illusion of the main model being solid all the way along.

However, I am not sure how to define 'Radius' and 'Height' values for a sub model as anything defined under 'Thing' effects all models and sub models.

......OR maybe there is a completely different way of doing this. I just need to be able to block player and projectiles going through a long solid object (length ways).

Comments

• What you are trying to do cannot be achieved with a single map object/entity. A Thing definition defines the type specific properties of what will become a mobj (abbreviated from Map Object) in the game world at runtime. In DOOM (and all other id Tech 1 games) a mobj has only a radius and physics collisions are done vs a bounding box whose sides are 2 x radius.

In order to have a physical L-shaped object you would need multiple map objects.
  • HI,

Thanks for info, I had a feeling I was going to have to do it with other map objects. Some ways makes it more versatile, but a bit messy in doom biulder.

So for my last question, is there a console command I can use that will show me the collision radius of objects while in game or some type of way to view them without having to fire rockets all the time to test collisions ?
  • bcwood16 wrote:
    Is there a console command I can use that will show me the collision radius of objects while in game or some type of way to view them without having to fire rockets all the time to test collisions ?
    Indeed there is; open the console and enter the following:
    rend-dev-mobj-bbox 1

• YAY

Thank you DaniJ as usual you have been super helpful :)

Not tested the command yet as at work >:) , but sounds like its exactly what I need B-)

Finally (though admittedly being a tad lazy here) how do I use the console to bind commands to certain keys on the keyboard, so I dont have to type it in every time.

I have quite a few commands I use in the console, but never figured out how to bind the, I messed about before, but ended up moving onto other things. My sticky note is getting worn out now from picking it up all the time lol

Thanks again for help.
  • bcwood16 wrote:
    How do I use the console to bind commands to certain keys on the keyboard, so I dont have to type it in every time?
    Allow me to direct you to this wiki article which answers that very question :)
  • Hello again :)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I have now managed to do what I needed. I simply created some 'Thing' objects with the required 'Radius' and 'Height' and placed them in a row to give the effect of a long collision volume along a MD2 model.

The console command (which I also binded to keys) helped massively in getting the correct sizes.