Hi, some questions about addons.

edited 2012 Dec 23 in DOOM
i never thought it'd end up like this. years ago, i was really into playing on the Doomsday Engine and its addons, so much that i began collecting an armada of mods and addons i'd generally use to play the game with. this was back in late 2007, i believe. a year or so later, i got fed up with it, went over to the GZDoom engine, and thought i'd never come back.

and well, here i am now. i can't really explain it, but there's something about the Doomsday Engine that has drawn me back. just the overall feeling of it, the 3D models, in particular, makes killing enemies all the more satisfying, not to mention it looks rather slick in design, too. i'm probably going to stick around with it for a long time now. :)

anyhow, there are some questions about addons i'd like to get answers to. since 2007 to 2012 is such a long time from each other, you're bound to have a lot of things changed over the course of time. in my case there is a lot of them, but right now i'd want to focus on some specific addons for Doomsday.

thing is, there's a lot of mods that symbolized the game for me back then. i've been able to collect a few of them together, but there's a few files i've been missing, and i can't seem to find them on my HDD's no matter what i do, so i'd like to ask if anyone of you knew about them.

for starters, i remember a model pack by Xerxes i used on my playthroughs. it changed some models from the game, like the armor and radsuit. i can't seem to find any working links for the model pack anymore. does anyone know where to find it?

secondly, i'm interested in the fog and rain effect of the what i'd assume is the now defunct jDoom Environment pack. they don't seem to be hosted on here, only the skyboxes for the games (which are excellent in their own regard).

thirdly, i'm interested in a liquid flats animation pack for Doom i used. while the textures for some of the flats were so-so, i believe that the effect was rather stunning. i don't know who made the liquid flats pack, all i can find is this screenshot i had lying around on my harddrive: http://i.imgur.com/8juWZ.jpg

4th one, detail textures. i can't seem to enable them on Doomsday, is it a seperate addon or toggled somehow?

lastly, does anyone know where to find Abbs weapon pack for Doomsday and the texture pack for Hexen?

if anyone would be so kind to know the whereabouts of either files on here, i'd be very grateful to retrieve the files again, so i can bask around in the nostalgia of the Doomsday Engine to its fullest. :)

Comments

• Looks like a Hexen pack is at the bottom of the addons page: http://dengine.net/addons
  • You'll need a torrent client to get that. A lot of people either don't know how or simply choose not to use torrent clients. Not a problem for me but just saying.
  • I use a torrents too on certain things, but sometimes torrents (vuse or Azureus in my case) can cause the router to cut off internet access, even if it was open briefly and the download was stopped quickly, requiring the router to be physically reset sometimes. Also, it is good to have multiple places that they are hosted instead of someone being forced to torrent if they either don't want to or can't do so.
  • The environment pack does not work anymore with recent versions of doomsday. The rain add-on pack unfortunately was not the best looking one.

I don't know where the liquid animations pack has gone but I believe there is a new and better way to do it in newer version of doomsday. using materials in a ded

Some of the add-on packs aren't small. I don't have the money to pay to host the files on a fast server.
    Torrenting means faster download for everyone. There is also an http seed for each of the add-ons as well, so they will never die.

Gary, have you tried transmission or deluge?
  • Never heard of it. I might get one of those instead though to replace vuze.
  • gary wrote:
    I use a torrents too on certain things, but sometimes torrents (vuse or Azureus in my case) can cause the router to cut off internet access, even if it was open briefly and the download was stopped quickly, requiring the router to be physically reset sometimes. Also, it is good to have multiple places that they are hosted instead of someone being forced to torrent if they either don't want to or can't do so.
    Can't we put these files on non-Torrent places like those file hosts as mirrors?
  • utorrent is good for me without the router issues. Deluge didn't really give me much download speed, if any. utorrent is probably most popular and recommended for those who need to use a torrent.