absolutely not able to build

edited 2012 Oct 28 in Developers
Hello fellas,

i'm desperately trying to build deng, but cannot succeed. I'm using qmake command that is found on the instructions page
qmake -r ../doomsday/doomsday.pro CONFIG+=deng_packres
all i got is a bunch of files and folders that i'm not able to run.
Please, can you specify the layout of the built project, what files i should expect to see and where? I'm not sure what's going on.

I still don't understand the statement in the building guide:
It is not possible to run the game without installing.
Why? what do you mean "installing"? Does it mean that i need to do some system-wide installation?

I'm ****ing with it almost 4 hours

Thanks in advance

Comments

• We're happy to help with build troubles, but you'll have to tell us first which OS you're using? Which version of Qt do you have installed?

Installing means that the compiled binaries and all the required resource files are copied to their runtime layout. It doesn't have to be system-wide: on Unix at least you can define the location by setting the PREFIX qmake variable.
  • uhg, someone's gonna help me)

i'm on ubuntu 10.04 32bit, qt version available for me is 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5

also, i don't understand what is DENG_BUILD number, i receive message that it's not set
    and what exactly is "package zlib"? is it a library or someting other?
    Package zlib was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `zlib.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

• demoth wrote:
    i'm on ubuntu 10.04 32bit, qt version available for me is 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
    All right, 4.6 is a bit on the old side but it should work.

Which version of Doomsday are you trying to build? Did you get a source tarball (stable/unstable)?
    demoth wrote:
    also, i don't understand what is DENG_BUILD number
    When you're doing your own builds, you don't need to worry about the build number. In the official builds the number is automatically assigned as described in the wiki.
    demoth wrote:
    i receive message that it's not set and what exactly is "package zlib"? is it a library or someting other?
    It is a library for compressing data. You should install it: "apt-get install zlib1g-dev"