Oculus Rift

edited 2013 May 4 in General
Has anyone seen it? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game
I would love to play these old games in VR, especially Hexen. If support could be added somehow, but I'm not sure who can get an SDK for it.

Comments

• I knew a small arcade in the late 90's that had a VR headset and they had it setup with Doom and Duke3D. It wasn't nearly as good as the occulus rift of course and they charged people by the minute to play them. But yeah, classic Doom has been used in VR headsets before.

I would like to try out the occulus rift some time.. specifically try it before I buy it. I wouldn't mind setting up a dedicated VR machine with it though.
  • there's the rub. plenty of new games are going for it but what about these old favorites? I'm hot for the concept of VR gameplay and I think Hexen and the other Doom based games are ripe for it. It looks simple enough but then I don't know what is involved. If we knew for sure that Oculus was in the game plan then new models and textures could get a jump start. BTW, what is the game plan for new model support?
  • PostFatal wrote:
    but I'm not sure who can get an SDK for it.
    I believe they are accepting preorders for the SDK (to be shipped later during the spring), and some people have been given early versions of the kit.

Personally I find Oculus Rift very interesting and would love to play Hexen using it, but it's a bit early in the game. I would wait until the 2nd generation where they have improved on the unavoidable 1st gen glitches and maybe also drop the price a little (presently 300 USD + VAT/import duty).
  • My sentiments exactly. Its a hugely interesting piece of technology but its too early for developers like ourselves to become involved just for the sake of supporting it in Doomsday (though I would love to see that happen). Its something we can't really justify.
  • Thanks for the reply guys, glad to see that you are as interested as I am. As for the cost, I thought maybe a short donation drive could be in order, the price is reasonable, but I understand your concerns about 1st gen. As to the last part of my question above, has a decision been made as to what the next 3d model support will be?
  • You can download the Oculus SDK for free, just registering at https://developer.oculusvr.com/

There are some people that have added VR support to their projects in just a few days, it would be great if you guys could take a look at the SDK and evaluate how complex it would be. If you manage to get basic support for dEngine, it would be GREAT for your popularity, right now the only playable game in VR is Team Fortress 2.

What do I mean by basic support? Render two game windows side by side for stereo 3D, apply an image warp shader and use the accelerometer for aiming, including tilt if possible (the SDK will help you perform all those tasks). In an ideal world, aiming should be decoupled from viewing and handled with a mouse, controller or Razer Hydra (TF2 does that), but that's something that wouldn't be necessary.

Just take a look at these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uIF4d4mPZg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoEQLSi ... r_embedded

I backed the project the first day and my Rift should be shipping this week (European orders were delayed). I love Doom, Heretic and Hexen with passion and I've spent countless hours replaying them with dEngine (and I started many years ago, when they were JDoom, JHexen... before the engine integration). I would happily test Rift support if you implemented it.
  • Agreed, aiming and direction of travel should be mouse while look should be oculus. I know this is a big departure from default gameplay but it would add a whole new style to master making the games new again. They are working on lean forward and lean back which I don't understand. It seems to me that this could be handled by mouse forward or rearward. most of mouse is strafing side to side anyway so forward and back seem intuitive to me. But I just realized that aiming up would conflict with leaning forward. ugh.
  • You ordered a development kit? I take it that you know what you are doing then and not just an impatient consumer. I considered getting the development kit but not knowing how to code, model, or even texture, I decided against it. Besides, they say the consumer version will be superior. To be honest, seeing that I almost put down my $300 for an early kit, I think that it isn't too much to ask that a drive be started to put the kit in the hands of the developers of Doomsday Engine. What say ye?
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    You can download the Oculus SDK for free, just registering at https://developer.oculusvr.com/

There are some people that have added VR support to their projects in just a few days, it would be great if you guys could take a look at the SDK and evaluate how complex it would be. If you manage to get basic support for dEngine, it would be GREAT for your popularity, right now the only playable game in VR is Team Fortress 2.

What do I mean by basic support? Render two game windows side by side for stereo 3D, apply an image warp shader and use the accelerometer for aiming, including tilt if possible (the SDK will help you perform all those tasks). In an ideal world, aiming should be decoupled from viewing and handled with a mouse, controller or Razer Hydra (TF2 does that), but that's something that wouldn't be necessary.

Just take a look at these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uIF4d4mPZg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoEQLSi ... r_embedded

I backed the project the first day and my Rift should be shipping this week (European orders were delayed). I love Doom, Heretic and Hexen with passion and I've spent countless hours replaying them with dEngine (and I started many years ago, when they were JDoom, JHexen... before the engine integration). I would happily test Rift support if you implemented it.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    You ordered a development kit? I take it that you know what you are doing then and not just an impatient consumer
    Yeah, I know what I'm doing, and I know the initial experience may be a bit rough: low resolution, not so optimal implementations...
    my goal is simply to provide valuable feedback to indie developers, this will result in a better end user experience when the consumer version hits the market. That's why I'm encouraging people to start investigating with the SDK.
  • Impatient developer here. Someone better start adding Rift support to Doomsday Engine or I will. ;)

I'm also interested in combining it with Hydra and Kinect support for position tracking. I should have my Rift in a week or two.
  • Did you guys get your Dev kits yet? Any luck implementing with Doomsday? I check the net everyday for some news about the consumer version but nothing. I wonder if maybe they are making so much money with dev kits that a "better" consumer version at the same price is not a priority at this time, so many non devs have ordered just because they have the money to spare. I know they say that they want more games to support it first but many would pay the $300 even if only one game worked.