Hexen 3D models

edited 2013 Feb 6 in Hexen
Is there a possibility to put on downloads section 3D models of enemies and objects from Hexen game? Cuz i remember there were some done when it was doomsday.hq times and early doomsday projects but i cannot find them in my archives now :( Maybe there is some progess made in this modelling project? I remember in that time there were only 2-3 monsters remodelled into 3D and a few objects so i wonder if there are any more available.

Comments

• The thread (as of writing) right below this one:
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1076

There hasn't been a new compilation of HeXen's models in many years; the exe's and box files in the above mentioned thread contain the same resources, despite the exe's being built many years earlier pre Snowberry's existence.

Goes without saying though, that yourself should go for one of the box files packed for Snowberry, for ease of use and setting up.

Here are the few models that have been done for HeXen (HeXen get's little to no attention comparatively) in the years since there was last a compilation of them:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=108: An Afrit model
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1145: A Sapphire Wand model
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=789: A handful of the pickup's

You'll have to manually replace the ones in the compilation with these, if you wish to use them.
  • Thank you, but still it's a great shame that nobody wants to make more 3D models for this great game :(
  • I think it would help a lot if someone simply took the time to put together a new pack and fixed all the relatively minor issues with the existing one.
  • edited 2013 Mar 2
    jXCCP 1.23
    jHexen Community Compilation Pack

Include: models, textures, UI elements, light definitions, reflection maps.
    Some old models replaced with newer ones by Psychikon, title pic replaced with newer by ULTRAZEALOT. Also I added my Sapphire Wand model. All credits updated.
  • jXCSP
    jhexen Community Sounds and Music Pack

I used music rearranged by Ransu viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1016
    It sounds more dramatic than Sycraft's version in my opinion :)
    Author of sounds is unknown, i get it from here
  • edited 2012 Sep 3
    Firstly, a little issue with Crystal Vials and Quartz Flasks, Psychikon accidently set the bubble generators to bright, meaning they glow in the dark when the rest of the model doesn't. This can be observed with the vials at the start of Guardian of Ice.

You can also observe a pair of bug with shinemaps in pitch black areas, on those vials; Shinemaps accidently go full bright in pitch black areas and conflict with eachother; try luring an Ettin model in there and watch it 'change colours'. I'll raise those issues with Deng Team.

A simple generator copied and slightly modified from the Fighter Guanlet puffs, for the wisps given off by the Wendigo as it moves around.
    Model {
      State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_1"
      Md2 {}
    }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_2" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_3" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_4" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_5" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_6" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_7" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_8" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_9" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_1" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_2" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_3" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_4" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_5" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_6" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_7" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_8" }
    *Model { State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_9" }

Generator {
      State = "ICEGUY_WISP1_1"
      Flags = blend | modelonly
      Speed = 3
      Speed rnd = 0.24
      Vector { 0 0 1 }
      Vector rnd = 1
      Center { 0 0 -5 }
      Spawn radius = 5
      Spawn age = 6
      Max age = -1
      Particles = 48
      Spawn rate = 6
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Color { 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.4 }
    	Radius = 4
    	Gravity = -0.09
    	Resistance = 0.1
    	}
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Radius = 6
    	}
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Radius = 7
    	}
    }
    Generator {
      State = "ICEGUY_WISP2_1"
      Speed = 3
      Speed rnd = 0.24
      Vector { 0 0 1 }
      Vector rnd = 1
      Center { 0 0 -5 }
      Spawn radius = 5
      Spawn age = 6
      Max age = -1
      Particles = 48
      Spawn rate = 6
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Radius = 2
    	Gravity = -0.09
    	Resistance = 0.1
    	}
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Radius = 3
    	}
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Radius = 3.5
    	}
    }

Also, an extra generator for the Teleporter FX that adds sparkles like the sprite. It's a slightly tweaked version of one of the artefact pickup generators.
    Generator {
      State = "MISC81"
      Flags = blend | static | modelonly | extra
      Speed = 1		Speed rnd = .8
      Spawn age = 15	Max age = 100
      Spawn rate = 10	Spawn radius = 3
      Particles = 150	Distance = 512
      Vector { 0 0 1 }	Vector rnd = 3
      Center { 0 0 30 }	Force = .2
      Force axis { 2 2 0 }	Force radius = 12
      Alt start = 5		Alt rnd = .7
      Stage {
        Type = tex08	Flags = bright | force
        Tics = 14 
        Gravity = -0.6}
      Stage {
        Type = tex08	Flags = bright
        Tics = 2		Radius = 2
        Resistance = .2	Color { 1 .8 .8 .8 } 
        Gravity = -0.6}
      Stage {
        Force { 0 0 .02 }	Tics = 10
        Radius = 12		Resistance = .3
        Color { .1 .2 .8 .55 }
        Gravity = -0.6 }
      Stage { Type = tex04	Color { .07 .01 0 .01 } Radius = 20 }
      Stage {}
      Stage {
        Type = tex29	Flags = bright
        Radius = 0		Rnd = .9
        Tics = 71		Color { 1 .75 .75 0 }
        Gravity = -0.6 }
      Stage {
        Type = tex29	Flags = bright
        Radius = 3		Radius rnd = .75
        Tics = 2		Color { 1 .5 .5 0 }
        Gravity = -0.6 }
      Stage {
        Radius = 4		Radius rnd = .75
        Tics = 7		Color { 1 .37 .37 1 }
        Gravity = -0.6 }
      Stage {
        Type = tex08	Color { .96 .25 .007 0 }
        Gravity = -0.6 }
    }

• Very nice work! Tank you!
  • Just because I can, I tweaked Veirdo's Sapphire Wand missile def so the model is also used on the sparkle bridges, which were still rendered as the original sprites.
    Model {
      State = "BRIDGE1";
      Scale = 0.3;
      Inter = 0;
      Md2 {
        File = "Missiles/M-Wand/wand_missile.md2";
        Skin file = "Missiles/M-Wand/wand_missile.png";
        Flags = noz | alignyaw | alignpitch;
        Frame = "FRAME001";
        };
    }
    *Model { State = "BRIDGE2" }
    *Model { State = "BRIDGE3" }

*Model { State = "FREE_BRIDGE1" }
    *Model { State = "FREE_BRIDGE2" }

*Model { State = "BBALL1" }

*Model {
       State = "BBALL2";
       Md2 {
        Flags = brightshadow | noz | alignyaw | alignpitch;
       };
    }

Secondly, another little mistake in one of the items in the pack; Deus-ex accidently set the colors of the generator for the 'FLAME_LDORM1' state in FX-Decor.ded, to blue instead of yellow; so the flames (i.e in the pits on Korax's) level will periocidcally flicker blue for an instant. Easy enough to fix.
  • Good work, Vermil! Maybe if you already tweaked the pack, you'll post it in more public place like this where all addons live ;)
    Then I'll kill my outdated links.
  • It wasn't my intention to 'replace' your version of the pack; the add-ons are community projects. Hence I was offering new resources and pointing out bugs, that anyone in the community can fix.

While I'm here, let's give the Porkelator Missile Explosion the same generator the Fighters Hammer uses as the explosions both use the same sprite but currently the Porkelator version has no generator.
    # Porkelator Explosion
    Model {
      State = "EGGFXI1_1"
      Md2 { File = "" }
    }
    *Model { State = "EGGFXI1_2" }
    *Model { State = "EGGFXI1_3" }
    *Model { State = "EGGFXI1_4" }

Generator {
      State = "EGGFXI1_1"
      Speed = 2
      Speed rnd = 0.24
      Vector rnd = 1
      Spawn radius = 14
      Spawn age = 4
      Max age = -1
      Particles = 99
      Spawn rate = 5
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Color { 1 0.3 0.2 0.8 }
    	Radius = 12
    	Flags = bright
    	Resistance = 0.1
    	}
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Color { 1 0.3 0.2 0.7 }
    	Radius = 16
    	Flags = bright
    	Resistance = 0.15
    	}
      Stage {
    	Type = tex10
    	Tics = 6
    	Color { 1 0.3 0.2 0.7 }
    	Radius = 18
    	Resistance = 0.18
    	}
    }

• I have no idea how to use these "fixes" so if someone could roll them into the pack veirdo posted it would be much appreciated. Also, why aren't things in the pack selectable? I'd like to be able to turn off certain models so I could use others in their place, I also prefer the original textures seeing that the high res ones are different so being able to turn those off but maybe keep the shine maps would be cool.
    I remember that resources used to be that way (selectable).
  • To be frank, most of the existing HeXen resources are so old that they look very poor against the Doom and Heretic equivalents.

Something I would like to float the idea of, is jettisoning the pack (i.e. leave behind near all of its content) and starting an all new one from scratch and with all new models, UI, Textures, Generators and such, as they get made?

The existing pack can be kept around in the meantime (the box posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1076).
  • Given that the content is already there, I can't really see the point in removing them from pack. It seems to me that it would be a better idea to reformat it into a .box and allow users to make their own decisions about which elements they'd like to use.
  • Well, I think I can recompile the pack in .box format. I will do it next weekend.
  • Here is a .box of jXCCP.
  • veirdo wrote:
    Here is a .box of jXCCP.
    nice attempt but still not right. we should be able to select individual items. Suppose there are 2 Ettin models, one in this pack and one in another. If we prefer the other ettin then we should be able to turn off the one from this pak. We shouldn't have to turn off all monsters. The same should be with decorations and effects. suppose we want to turn off rain but keep shine? the way you have it we have to turn off all effects.
  • Yea i had this xccp project it's very old one. Is there no other new ones?
  • PostFatal wrote:
    veirdo wrote:
    Here is a .box of jXCCP.
    nice attempt but still not right. we should be able to select individual items. Suppose there are 2 Ettin models, one in this pack and one in another. If we prefer the other ettin then we should be able to turn off the one from this pak. We shouldn't have to turn off all monsters. The same should be with decorations and effects. suppose we want to turn off rain but keep shine? the way you have it we have to turn off all effects.
    A few months back I did manage to convert 1.2 of the community pack into box format, with fully selectable resources, but for some reason all the content is ignored by deng 1.99. If I get a chance next weekend I will do that conversion again, using the 1.21 pack this time. It was tedious but doable. What we need after that is somewhere to host updated resources as they are created, updated or located. These could then be fed into new versions of pack.
  • I don't know shit about 3d modeling but im willing to contribute in anyway ie help get a site running where the hexen addon information can be passed back and forth. Let me know guys as I really want hexen to have a complete 3d models set!
  • Does anybody know why the weapons in hexen appear too close at all the 16:10 resolution ratios? Those look the best on my imac. I tried some of the lower res 4:3 ratio and the weapons look normal. I think this is something we should try fix first. Also the missing models, i would love to see a 3d centour model along with the bishops and swamp creatures and graveyard ghouls.
  • yes it's a known issue. it's due to the fact that dday renders at a fixed 4:30 aspect ratio.
  • By the way, I have an old (2009) model of centaur of my own. It's not rigged and animated, only mesh and skin, but I want to share it with community. For now I think it's too lowpoly and rough skin, but if someone want to use it in dengine, it's good to do. :)
    centaur2009.png

The files:
    model
    skin
  • Irrespective of the polycount I think thats a very good model. Hopefully someone will decide to develop it further (it would already work well as one of the distant LOD levels).
  • Yeah, it's good for a distant LOD, but not for actual on-screen model. I don't even know how to use the LODs in the current version of dengine. I think for level 0 LOD it's good about 3.5 K of polys, and I'll do it after I finish the HUD models.

Unfortunately I can't work for a 1.5 months, because my main working station was stolen (it was the Acer w501, which I used in any spare time). But now I have a new asus slate, with a wacom support. Sure, it will speed up my work.
  • Im not tryen to be a jerk but something about your models looks more cartoonish then the ones in the current pack, even the saphire wand, i cant put my finger on what it is something about the color or something.... I prefer the more realistic looking 3d models even in they're not as true to the original.
  • I'm not sure that is a good idea to make Hexen look like Witchaven or TekWar or other games with photo-referenced textures and models. I want to keep it's distinct hand-drawn art style.
  • we really won't know until it's in game, then we'll see how it compares to other models. I myself am not real happy with the Ettins but they work until someone makes a more lifelike one. BTW, can't stand the Ettins they made for Doom 3 mod Hexen Edge of Choas, but it's a decent mod.
  • Actully in my opinion it looks pretty good ingame.
    I just did a quick vert asignment to it from the Milkshape source of Chilvence's old centar model.
    Functions pretty good cept for some deformations from the modelframe differences.
    Well that and the body dissapering on death which I still can't figure out whats causing it.
    If Veirdo is cool with it ill post it so others can mess with it.
    Along with the source so someone better than me can fix/optimize/decide-to-redo-animating-it.
  • I'm pretty sure that Veirdo released and gave permission to use in his first post. Looking forward to seeing this in game.
  • True but I rather wait for a quick "green light" before I post it.
    Some artists get picky and I don't want to tick off the only one doing hexen models currently.