Steam?

edited 2012 Jun 8 in General
I wonder what would happen if the doomsday engine were to be on steam? i know it's not going to happen in the near future but it's always good to speculate is it not?

Comments

• I'm not sure there is any point in making Doomsday available via Steam (the games are already available via Steam).
  • i know they are but also having the option to play them with the doomsday engine would be great, but i do not know how steam works enough to say that the doomsday engine should be on steam only that it might be one day. probably when 3.0 or 4.0 hits. also playing doom with dosbox is hard unlike when i had smaller fingers and used to standards of gaming. now of some how the doomsday engine was on steam i would also want other source ports on there as well so as to have people with more choice. if dooms source ports do get onto steam then great if not then no worries.

Edit: onthing i forgot to say was that if any source port is on steam it might bolster there user base by some.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I'm not sure there is any point in making Doomsday available via Steam (the games are already available via Steam).
    I'm unsure what kind of policy Steam has towards open source apps, but the platform itself has many advantages like the online community and built-in micropayments.

Doomsday would have to be free of charge (or virtually so) because it's also being offered for free on SourceForge. One possibility might be a closed source Steam integration plugin that wouldn't be offered for free anywhere.

But I don't see this happening in the foreseeable future...
  • Sorry but I still don't see the point. Why would a user donate to a project that integrates Doomsday in Steam via a closed source integration plugin, just so they can make donations to the project and access to yet another web page about Doomsday?

I'm being a little facetious because I do have some idea of the sort of functionality you were indirectly alluding too, however from a current user's POV - a Steam integration plugin is largely pointless.
  • a steam plugin would be pointless as if a user would be donating by it then even tho it would bring them to another page it would be like having a donate button on the main page. if people wanted i could set up a steam group for the doomsday engine?